Monday, July 7, 2008

Potty training

It's five months till our daughter's 3rd birthday and frankly we're getting desperate. The potty training hasn't been going well and we're looking at other ideas.

My wife bought an Elmo's Potty Time DVD to see if some encouragement from a familiar face like his would help. So we put it in the DVD player and with some convincing, we get her over to the potty.

As soon as it starts, she get's a strange look on her face as if to say "What is THIS propaganda?". She's probably wondering if we're going to force her to watch a video on a timeshare following this.

And I feel so bad watching it myself. Because It's Elmo..........going "number two" as he says,....and all I could think of was "Okay, who cleans the matted feces out of HIS fur". And anybody who's had a dog knows JUST what I'm talking about!

2 comments:

Karen S. said...

I would try potty training rewards. This worked great potty training our son. He loved pushing the audio button hearing he is a Big Boy and opening a door to find a chocolate surprise. He really became involved. He was peeing and popping in his potty within a week. I know every child is different, but have a look and see if this would work for you. www.pottytrainingrewards.com

RJ said...

Thanks. My wife came up with a pretty neat idea of her putting a sticker (she LOVES stickers) on a calendar everytime she had a succesful potty. But as with anything, she's proven she can't be bought. As much as she loves them.....she won't sit just to get a sticker. I agree with you though, i think its going to be one day.....BOOM, the light bulb will go off.